Daily Archives: July 17, 2011

Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

‘A wartime drill without the war’

WITH SOME areas receiving more than their fair share of power cuts while a lucky few have had none at all the Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC) has admitted that mistakes have been made in their efforts to manage the island’s limited power supply.

Although consumers are supposed to suffer only one cut a day for up to two and a half hours, some are experiencing more than one blackout while others have not seen any cuts at all since Monday when the explosion at the Mari naval base took out the island’s main power plant.

EAC spokesman Costas Gavrielides told the Sunday Mail: “We don’t claim we haven’t made any mistakes. Unintentional injustices have been made in some areas.“

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

Tales from the coffee shop: The absurdity is making us cry

IN TIMES of tragedy, it is very difficult for a piss artist who looks at the absurd and ridiculous side of Cyprus life to do his job. There was plenty of absurdity in the last six days but it was the type that provokes tears rather than laughter.

Thirteen men were killed on Monday, three of them teenage conscripts, thanks to the brainless, bungling incompetents that run this country.

Fifty per cent of our power production capability was destroyed after the new Vassiliko power station (cost: €1 billion) was blown up thanks to the same brainless, bungling incompetents, who ignored continuous warnings of impending disaster.

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

Our View: Christofias handling the economy with the same incompetence as the explosive cargo

CYPRIOT citizens have always shown a high degree of tolerance to government blunders, slap-dash policies and shabby practices. This is what they have come to expect from our self-serving politicians, rarely complaining and too often accepting, with a laugh or shrug of the shoulders, implausible explanations for government incompetence. As a result of these public attitudes, governments have got away with glaring acts of incompetence and corruption.

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

Frustration mounts in Paphos over random power cuts

FRUSTRATION is mounting amongst consumers in Paphos as random power cuts continue to sweep the district, causing havoc to day to day life, especially with the randomness of it all.

“There seems to be absolutely no logical daily pattern in the cuts and its making life very difficult,” said Paphos businessman Spyros Antoniades.

Residents, businessmen and holiday makers are all reporting daily cuts with some areas being left without electricity supply for hours on end, while others have an uninterrupted supply.

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

Sixth annual International Beach volley comes to Paphos

THE WOMEN’S International CEV beach volley tournament is underway in Paphos this weekend.

Fifty eight women from eighteen different countries are competing in the sixth tournament being be held at Yeroskipou municipal beach.

Organisers said it had been an amazing start to the event “which gets better every year”.

They also said the Paphos tournament had ‘become an important event on the International beach volley calendar and that twenty nine teams would be competing for a place in the finals and cash prizes.’

This year, well known Greek TV presenter Nikki Hadjivassiliou, who presents the poplar Greek TV show ‘Pame Paketo’ which is shown on channel Alpha, is also taking part in one of the Greek teams.

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

Power boost from the north

 

GOVERNMENT spokesman Stefanos Stefanou confirmed yesterday that electricity from the north will be supplied to the south via the Electricity Authority Cyprus (EAC), following an application by the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KEVE) that was submitted and accepted.

“The application was submitted with the approval of the government after legal advice from the Attorney-general,” said Stefanou.

The naval base explosion last Monday that killed a total of 13, took out Cyprus’ main power plant, resulting in daily power cuts.

The electricity was set to arrive by yesterday evening and according to the EAC chairman Harris Thrassou the deal would be valid until the end of August, with the possibility of getting an extension.

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

After bombing the Electricity Authority, Christofias should at least save economy

‘Our finances may be kicked back into the past, just like our power supply’

FOR Michalis Kanios, owner of Country Bakers, every power cut is a nightmare. Production in all affected outlets of his bakery chain in the Nicosia area ceases automatically and at a high cost. Urgent action is then taken to protect food in the fridges that is temperature sensitive.

“When we have an outage, we throw away what we are baking in the oven that moment. We cannot use it again,” Kanios told the Sunday Mail in an interview. “We must then load all dairy items we have in the fridges to a refrigerated car and transport them to another bakery which still has power, store them there before we can bring them back. We then cannot use the cash registers, we can’t weigh and cut”.

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

Energy savers should be rewarded

 

A GROUP has been established on social networking site Facebook encouraging us all to ‘Reward Energy Savers!’

The group, already attracting several hundred followers, aims to encourage members to patronise only those shops and businesses which have demonstrated a responsible attitude towards calls for energy use to be minimised. The page states, “We are here to promote businesses that after the accident have responded to the dire need to save energy by any means possible.” “It is the least we can do to reward those that have realised that business is not as usual.”

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

Funeral for blast’s thirteenth victim

THE thirteenth victim of Monday’s naval blast, 19-year-old Antonis Charalambous, was laid to rest yesterday in Limassol.

Sharing the family’s pain at the funeral were the wives of victims Captain Andreas Ioannides, Commander of the Navy, Warrant Officer Kleanthis Kleanthous and the mother of twin victims Christos and Miltos Christoforou.

The family donated Charalambous’ organs, and the recipient’s wife, Soteria Andreou attended the funeral, full of gratitude for “their soul’s splendor.”

“A huge ‘why’ is torturing all of us,” Charalambous’ aunt said in her eulogy asking for the punishment of those responsible.

“We have both awareness and judgment about what’s going on,” she added.

Read More
Archives July 17, 2011 posted by

State apathy of the criminal kind

IT’S NOT the information, it’s what you do with it that matters. The cargo at the naval base was a ticking time bomb, officials knew it, and yet for almost two-and-half years nothing was done to act on this information.

That’s the picture that emerges from classified government documents leaked over the past few days. They show that as far back as May 2009 the military was warning higher-ups of the risks of keeping the 98 containers exposed to the elements. Fast-forward to Wednesday July 6, 2011, when an on-site inspection of the cargo revealed a blown-out container and traces of gunpowder.

The cargo of the Monchegorsk was transported to the naval base on February 13, 2009. Responsibility for the cargo was transferred from Customs to the National Guard “temporarily.”

Read More

Archives Calendar

Archives List