Daily Archives: February 27, 2013

Archives February 27, 2013 posted by

Ayia Napa aims to become more accessible to the disabled

AYIA Napa municipality, the national association for people with disabilities and the Rethymnos municipality in Crete have united in an effort to make the two cities more accessible for people with mobility issues.

The project “Ayia-Napa – Rethymnos: Completely Accessible Cities” which will cost more than €1 million, is aimed at improving the infrastructure and accessibility of the two cities for the disabled. 

Ayia Napa municipality announced yesterday that the project would last for two years and will be mainly funded by the European Regional Development Fund. The total cost comes to €1,050,000, with the development fund contributing 80 per cent and national resources the other 20 per cent.

Read More
Archives February 27, 2013 posted by

Pig welfare remains unresolved n Cyprus, EU says

 

THE EUROPEAN Commission has asked Cyprus to take action implementing an animal welfare directive effective from January 1 this year stating among others that sows must be kept in groups during part of their pregnancy. 

The Commission issued a formal notice last week, asking Cyprus to “submit its observations on an identified problem regarding the application of EU law within a given time limit”. Cyprus has two months to respond.

Despite the 11-year-notice and funding available via the EU agricultural development scheme, Cyprus has failed to take timely action to enable pig farmers make the move from keeping pregnant sows in individual gestation stalls, to keeping them in group pens so they can move around freely during their pregnancy. 

Read More
Archives February 27, 2013 posted by

Arson attacks

TWO CARS were completely destroyed within a few hours in Nicosia on Monday night and yesterday morning by a fire, police said. 

A police spokesman said that from initial investigations it appears both incidents were arson attacks. The first car was set alight at 11.30pm on Monday as it was parked in front of a house. Members of the fire service extinguished the blaze. The car valued at around €15,000 was completely destroyed. The second car, also valued at €15,000, was set alight at 2am yesterday as it was parked in the Strovolos area of Nicosia and was also completely destroyed by the fire. Police are investigating both cases as arson.

Read More
Archives February 27, 2013 posted by

Dog attack

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy was attacked on Sunday by a stray dog as he was playing near his home in Latsia in Nicosia. 

The boy was taken to the emergency room of Nicosia General Hospital where he received first aid. He was then taken to Makarios Hospital where he was held overnight for observation. The stray dog has yet to be found. Latsia police are investigating.  The municipality said it was completely unaware of any incidents involving stray dogs.

This is the second attack on a child by a wild dog in the last week after a nine-year-old child was attacked by two stray dogs in Limassol and needed surgery.

Read More
Archives February 27, 2013 posted by

An audio guide to Larnaca

THE CYPRUS Tourism Organisation (CTO) and the Larnaca Tourist Board have released audio guides which will inform those interested about the various attractions in Larnaca. 

The guides, which are in mp3 format, can be downloaded and used on smart phones and mp3 players. According to a statement released by the tourist board, the audio guides can be downloaded for free in six different languages. Guides for St. Lazarus Church, the Ecclesiastical Museum, the Neolithic settlement of Hoirokoitia and the Hala Sultan Tekke mosque will be available for download via links found on the CTO and Larnaca Tourist Board websites.

Read More

Archives Calendar

February 2013
M T W T F S S
« Jan   Mar »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  

Archives List