Posts by tag: Justice

Archives February 4, 2012 posted by

Kykkos Monastery sues businessman

THE Kykkos Monastery is suing businessman Lambros Christofi, after the latter allegedly failed to pay €750,000 rent on a property he was leasing from the church.

The monastery’s legal team applied to Nicosia District Court on Wednesday to have Christofi’s business assets frozen, until the lawsuit is settled.

The dispute is over a building that the monastery rented to Christofi’s company “White Moon Services Ltd” in Engomi, which housed a number of shops and offices.

The complex was leased out in 2001, with a 16-year contract. The rent was agreed at €137,000 a year, with an annual increase of 5.0 per cent.

Read More
Archives January 25, 2012 posted by

Costs of President’s travel need more scrutiny

THE HOUSE Finance Committee has asked the government for detailed cost information before releasing the remaining €300,000 allocated in the 2012 budget to cover the cost of the President’s air travel.

The budget item for the needs of the Office of the President includes €370,000 for the head of state’s air travels.

Some €70,000 were released earlier this month for a flash trip by President Christofias to Copenhagen. This amount had been released upfront on parliament’s approval of the budget.

Parliament withheld the remainder of the budget item for the rest of the year.

Since 2010 the President has been using a private jet for some of his overseas travels, following an agreement between the government and NetJet.

Read More
Archives January 16, 2012 posted by

Rescue on Italian cruise ship halted

 

Italian rescuers suspended efforts to find survivors on Monday as the hulk of a giant cruise liner slipped in worsening weather on the steep rocky underwater slope on which it is lodged off Italy’s west coast.

Earlier they recovered a sixth body from the 114,500-tonne Costa Concordia, which was holed by a reef on Friday night and rolled onto its side just off the coast of the picturesque island of Giglio. In addition to the six known to have died, officials say 16 of the 4,200 passengers and crew are missing.

The vessel’s captain, Francesco Schettino, was arrested on Saturday and has been accused of manslaughter and abandoning his ship before all those on board were evacuated.

Read More
Archives January 11, 2012 posted by

Frustration over RES decision

A BILL slated to be submitted to the House tomorrow to update government policy on renewable energy sources (RES) has failed to take into account any advice offered by the Energy Regulatory Authority (RAEK), parliament heard yesterday.

Associations representing companies which have invested in RES spoke about their frustration during yesterday’s House Commerce Committee.

They maintained that the new incentives, along with the reduction in RES-produced electricity tariffs, would result in many prospective investors withdrawing their applications.

One spokesman wondered why the state was planning to accept new applications, without taking current investors into account.

Read More
Archives December 22, 2011 posted by

First photovoltaic park in memory of Mari victims

THE POWER of the sun will soon be harnessed with the construction of Cyprus’ first photovoltaic park which will also commemorate the 13 people killed in the naval base blast on July 11, the University of Cyprus’ rector said yesterday.

Constantinos Christofides was speaking yesterday during a news conference held to sign an agreement between the University of Cyprus and the Athanasios Ktorides Foundation for the construction of the park.

“This park shows our love for all of the people that gave their lives [on July11],” said Christofides.

According to Christofides, the €14 million park will have an output of 10MW and will be built on land belonging to the university in Aglantzia. Funding will be provided by the foundation.

Read More
Archives December 6, 2011 posted by

Upset over extra parking in Limassol

LIMASSOL’S city centre is continuously improving and the creation of further parking will enhance this development was Limassol Mayor Andreas Christou’s response yesterday to objections to a proposed two-storey underground parking in the old town.

The agreement with a private construction company was settled on November 15 and will see the creation of a 350-space underground parking on Andreas Themistokleous street in the old city. 

It is expected to cost around €11.7 million and be completed by 2013.

Currently the space is occupied by a parking lot for 150 cars, which the municipality prettified by planting several trees, some dating back to 1950.

Read More
Archives November 19, 2011 posted by

No work on Tombs of the Kings Road for at least a year

 

PAPHOS Mayor Savvas Vergas has confirmed that plans to upgrade the busy tourist hub of the Tomb of the Kings Road have been put on hold until late next year.

Vergas also said that plans which had been drawn up to construct a dual carriageway would not go ahead in its current form.

He said: “The plans for works on the Tomb of the Kings Road in Kato Paphos are now delayed because we will make some changes to the existing plans.”

Vergas confirmed that work to upgrade the area would get underway in October 2012.

Stressing the importance of modernising the area in a way which would be acceptable to both the authorities and local businesses the mayor said ‘common ground’ was a priority.

Read More
Archives December 28, 2010 posted by

Teens in hospital after car accident

A CAR ACCIDENT that occurred yesterday at around 11.30am in the Paphos district has landed a 13-year-old in the Nicosia General Hospital.

The car was being driven by a 19-year-old along the main road of Ayia Marina Chrysochous–Argakas, with the 13-year-old as his passenger. Police reports said that the driver lost control causing the car to overturn in a nearby field with the two boys trapped inside.

The Fire Services freed them and they were taken to Paphos General Hospital, where it was confirmed that the 19-year-old had broken his thigh bone. However the 13-year-old was transferred to the Nicosia General Hospital due to the seriousness of his condition.

 

Read More
Archives November 23, 2010 posted by

AKEL on the attack after resignation barb

THE government and ruling AKEL traded barbs with the main opposition party yesterday after DISY leader Nikos Anastassiades said the president should quit if he cannot govern the country.

In an interview with Alithia published on Sunday, Anastassiades said the economy was in a shambles and added that the government, if it was unable to govern, should admit so and resign.

The DISY boss also homed in on the spin the government was putting on the president’s meeting last week with the UN Secretary-General.

Despite the government’s denials that no timeframe had been set for the peace talks, Anastassiades said, it was clear from the UNSG’s statement that progress was expected by January.

Read More

Archives Calendar

December 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Archives List